Sunday, December 03, 2006

Life's a Beach

This is me in full vacation mode at one of the many beachside restaurants on Isla Mujeres. Yup, this pic pretty much sums it up.

Isla Mujeres is a teeny, tiny island very close to Cancun in the Mexican State called Quintana Roo. Yes, it is close to Cancun - a 20 minute ferry ride - but couldn't have been further from the flashy, Vegas-esque vibe that seems to exhist there. Here's a pic of the beach a few footsteps from our hotel - we liked to call it "our" beach.

Vacation is a very, very good thing. Mexico was amazing. It was warm, romantic, beautiful, friendly, accessible and incredibly kick-back. Did I mention warm? Very warm. The water & the sun. It was great being in the ocean again - well, I guess it is the sea - I've never experienced water so perfect in temerperature & clarity. And the white sand?? Gorgeous.




We rented a golf cart one day to explore the island. Very fun. Here is jzboy at Punta Sur which is on the Southern end of Isla Mujeres. Gorgeous views of the Caribbean!! It was here that we saw the "Cliff of the Dawn" - the easternmost point in the country & therefore the first part of Mexico to be touched by the sun's rays every dawn.

Best part about our golf cart tourism was the stop at the Tortugranja - the Turtle Farm.

This federally supported program is located on ancient nesting grounds of the giant sea turtle. Turtles come back to the same place they were born to lay their eggs deep in the beach sand. The farm protects the eggs and collects and protects the young, rearing them in large tanks until they can be released into the sea at an age and size where they can take care of themselves. Here are some pics of the protected little (or big) guys:


These guys are 5 days old!!

I'm in love.......

Every day of our vacation ended with an amazing sunset. For me, it was an ideal way to say goodbye to the sun. I felt so incredibly thankful each evening watching the sun sink below the horizon and basking in its glow. I felt comforted, peaceful and so very, very thankful.



I'll have to post a little later on our trip inland - to the Yucatan. That was an entirely different experience & deserves its own space.

Until then ~ Adios.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! *Sigh*

I am super jealous of your super-fantastic vacation. Although, I know how much you a jzboy needed it.

I'll definitely have to head south of the border one of these days and check that place out! :)

Glad to have you back, btw.

C's Mom said...

I second Natalee....sigh!

That's some beautiful stuff there. Wish I could been in your suitcase.

Glad you had a fabu time....wanna come to Ohio?...it's cold and grey here ;0)

Joannah said...

Absolutely beautiful! That beach looks so tranquil and relaxing.

I wish I was there...

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!! I am glad it sounds like it was everything you had hoped it would be... Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great trip. Glad you had fun!

Anne Marie said...

That sounds absolutely perfect. And the beach? Also perfect. You look so relaxed and happy! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip.

walternatives said...

Wonderful pics, but my fave is the first - you look so happy. I'll be looking forward to the next installment!

Anonymous said...

That water, oh that beautiful crystal clear water, I am SO jealous!

Mariah said...

That is my kind of Thanksgiving!! I am glad you had a safe trip, we missed you!!

M and M said...

I want to be there right now as I look at the snow flurries out my window...

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks amazing! The turtles must have been crazy cool!!
Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Way cool. I visited Cancun when I was 19 and had ferry tickets to tour Isle Mujeres on a day trip, but they had been stolen (along with my purse and camera). Oh well, next time. - Stephanie www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

Special K said...

That looks like pure heaven. Now I'm craving a margarita for some reason.. that's odd, wonder why.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are gorgeous! I hope you had a GREAT time! :)

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Welcome back - can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures. We want MORE. Can't wait to get together. Love, Mom & Dad

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Missed you! But, I am also jealous of your fantastic vacation. I'll get over it, I'm sure.
Those turtles are too DIE for! Too cute!

Katie J said...

Wow that looks wunderbar! I look at those pics and I think how much you're life is going to change. I'm so glad you guys took this trip and it reminds me of our trip to Belgium before we heard about Buttons. That vacation was a time of relieving some of the waiting stress and gearing up for the challenges of parenthood. I tried to soak it all up and it became "our last vacation" before Buttons along with "our last Christmas", "our last Memorial Day", "our last..." well, you get the picture. It's late. I'm rambling. I just started to ponder some similiarities between our waits and I'm just getting even more excited for you. So glad you're back!

Laura said...

I'm so jealous!!! We love Mexico too. We have been planning a trip for 2008.
Beautiful pix!
Laura

4D said...

Go-orgeous! Looks like heaven. Welcome home.

Keep smilin!

Jen said...

Yeah, you're back. Missed ya! Wow, the photos are amazing....what a gorgeous place. We'll have to go there someday. You look soooo relaxed in the first photo. As it should be. You deserve it! And the turtles, they are beautiful. You know I love the animals. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow, just beautiful. We went to Tulum and just loved the area. I am so glad you had such a wonderful time and you look marvvvvooolous!

Polar Bear said...

Wonderful!!

rubyiscoming said...

Aaaaahhh, I'm relaxed just lookin' at your photos. Mazel Tov, girlie! Enjoy every moment :)

And have an adult bev for me, please.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! love the turtles. It looks like a wonderful time. (When we were there, it rained the whole time--in December! Ugh.)