Friday, July 27, 2007

Bittersweet

It has been quite a while since I posted much of anything crafty...and there is a very good reason for this. You see, my most recent projects have been of the super-secret variety. Not to be seen by people that look at the blog, ya know?

Now the coast is clear...and I can show off the Wee Wonderfuls doll that I made for my niece. She just turned one!


You can't really tell from this picture, but the fabric I used for the hair is brown and "wavy", like hers. This dollie has a very cute butt - a lot like the wee girl she now belongs to.


Auntie always signs with an "XO".

See the doll on the right? I made that girl months & months ago. I think it was last year, actually. She sits and waits for our daughter. As you can see, I have struggled with finishing her. I've also had trouble finishing the knitted bear, the Bai Jai Bei quilt, the jade green sweater and several other projects earmarked for our daughter. They are all piled together in a random adoption crafting kind of limbo.

Anyway.......

If you click on the picture, you'll see that she is a little different from the BDay doll - especially the black hair. I wanted to make the two very similar but unique in their own ways.


I'd hoped that my niece and our daughter would be very close in age and envisioned them playing together with their dolls. We will just have to wait and see.


Our girls may end up preferring erector sets and double dutch to tea parties with dolls. Who knows? I just hope that there won't be too many more months (years?) between their ages.

(sigh)

However it unfolds - it will be sweet. No matter what.

XO

24 comments:

kitchu said...

I LOVE them.. and can't wait to see yours completed :O)
Do you sell these?? You could make some money girl!

Joannah said...

Those dollies are so sweet! Your niece and your baby girl will have a lovely friendship no matter their ages. My nieces are such big girls now (12 & 15), but I know they will love and dote on any younger cousins.

I agree with Kris! You should make these for profit! I'd buy one/some. Really!

Irena said...

Keep the faith, sweetie. All will be well.

4D said...

It will be sweet. Those dolls are too adorable. Great job!

Keep smilin!

Shandra said...

Someday the girls will play side by side. Cute dolls.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I've always loved SOFT dolls, ones that you can cuddle.

My girls, on the other hand, are into running, jumping, yelling, and sweating. Sigh. Maybe Baby Beth will be a girly girl. Probably not. :-)

atomic mama said...

XO, sigh... you are one special gal.

Anonymous said...

The dolls are amazing Wendy!! You're so crafty and talented!!

aimeeg said...

They are super cute! I love the stuff on the Wee Wonderfuls site. I need to get back to some of my crafty ways. Your projects will get done and be enjoyed by sweet Buttercup!!

Anne Marie said...

I love the idea of making the similar yet different, and as usual soooo adorable. The xo on the butt is an especially special touch.

Bittersweet indeed -- I know I would be putting the projects aside too. Sigh.

Mamacita said...

Sigh. I had to re-assess my whole pre-adoption plan too. Cousin David is here and about to turn one. I was so hoping that he and our baby would only be a few months apart. That's not gonna happen. Your doll is sweet. Keep working on your quilt and other projects. Just keep swimming!

C's Mom said...

Those are way beyond cute. I love your crafting skills.

Yes, sweet it will be no matter when.

XO to you!

walternatives said...

Hand and heart made are the very best gifts. Very nice work, Auntie. Mom.

Polar Bear said...

WONDERFUL! What a special present.

I have several unfinished projects for our daughter that I just can't seem to get motivated to work on. Hopefully one day soon I will be struggling to get them all finished. (A girl can hope) :)

Jacquie said...

Could those dolls be any more stinkin' cute?? Your talents continue to amaze me.

Katie J said...

The dolls are beautiful. Limbo land is no fun, but when you see Buttercup enjoying the fruits of your labor during the wait, there will only be sweet, no bitter. We had been waiting for Buttons and hoping she would be close in age to this baby or that baby and you know what? Older cousins rock and you will make new friends when Buttercup comes along with people who have children her age. I hear what you're saying though. Can't wait till your wait is over, WZ-Girl!

Tamara said...

The dolls are wonderful! You can tell love was put into every stitch. I love the last sentence of your blog post.

tundrachica said...

I love the dolls and it reminds me of the dolls my grandmother use to make for me as a girl. Even though I was the erector set kind of gal the dolls still sat on the special shelf of my room and were there to help when I was ill. So it all works out!

I love the simpleness of them! Great job Auntie~

Two Kayaks said...

TOTAL cuteness!!! You are so talented! I need to begin to be more crafty....

Joelle and Chandler said...

I love the dolls - I wish I was so crafty! I had been wondering about some of those other projects you had started and we never saw the finish of - I understand - it is the same reason we have procratinated so long on finishing the baby's room. I haven't been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel . . .

Headmeister said...

OMG, I LOVE them!!!!! You're the one who turned me on to that site, and I'm so glad you did! Now... if I could only sew...lol.

Operationtigerlily said...

I need to dust off my sewing machine. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cavatica said...

Those are so cute! And I agree, you could make some money selling them.

JMCS said...

So cute! You are so crafty. Great job.

Hugs,
Jonni