Saturday, September 09, 2006

Newby in Good Company

Day One - Quilting Class - One step closer to Bai Jia Bei-Land


Here it is, Stone Mountain & Daughter, site of the quilting class that I signed up for ages ago. This is a pretty cool shop in Berkeley, CA. It has been around a long time - they had pics on the wall of students quilting in the 70s. Different fabric, same patterns.


The place stayed open late for we soon-to-be-quilters. Talk about kids in a candy store. The colors! The patterns! The 20% discount!!


I was looking for reds & these bandana prints really inspired me. I thought that I'd choose one and then pull some other stuff to go with it. When my teacher happened by my pile, she encouraged me to use ALL of them. Instead of sticking to the materials list (that suggested 3 fabrics for the sampler class quilt) she recommended that I just go crazy. So I did. And, I am so stoked. I've already got another lighter blue fabric in mind....oh, this is going to be dangerous.


Cool thing about the class is that everyone is a beginner and we're all similarly excited and intimidated by this endeavor. So far, everyone seems pretty mellow. Our teacher is really experienced, very talented, fun and encouraging. Quilting is a different sort of beast I now realize - and that 1/4 inch seam allowance is going to be verrrry interesting. If anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom on that front - please share.

This is a 6-week sampler class that focuses on rotary cutting. By the week before Thanksgiving we will have put together a 6 block quilt comprised of 12x12" blocks. The samples from former classes looked HUGE to me. I was surprised to see that if the Goddess of Textiles and Graph Paper shines upon me I'm going to walk out of this class with a real useable quilt. Whoa.

My goal this weekend is to wash this fabric and begin cutting. Gotta get on it because the first block is due next Friday! The teacher started us off with the Rail Fence pattern. I guess it is one of the easiest. We shall see.

15 comments:

Joannah said...

Very cool! I love your fabric choices. There is something so sentimental about a quilt. My sister purchased a vintage quilt top at a flea market a while back, and under the tutiledge of a good friend was able to finish it. Her family just loves it and it's the go-to blankie for cool nights on the couch watching tv.

Millicent said...

Gosh...Carrie's woodworking class and now your quilting class...I'm so envious. I'm so excited to hear about how it goes and to see what you create. For some reason the whole knitting thing just escapes me, but quilting....that's a different story. Like you said, "I will no f this up." Now that's my kind of creative endeavor. I wish you lots of luck, straight lines, and creative juices!

C's Mom said...

I cannot wait to see what you create!

That settles it. If I see you survive without tearing your hair out then I am getting on board and learning to quilt in my area. I really want to make Jadyn's quilt. I just don't want to go insane doing so...that would be counterproductive ;0)

Anonymous said...

you lucky ducky. I love that store.

Laura said...

Wendy, you are just so talented in sewing and knitting! This will be a breeze for you. I love the fabric choices, it will be amazing when you are threw.
Can't wait to see the finished product.
Hugs,
Laura

Anonymous said...

I was born in Berkeley! And my mom is a quilter, so I wonder if she knows that store...although that was the 60s, so maybe it's a little bit newer than that. Anyhoo, love the fabrics!

Tamara said...

How fun- enjoy your new quilting class. I have a home health patient that has been a member of the "Busy Bee Quilting Club" for over 40 years, they even have a club house they meet in once a week. They sell their quilts at county fairs and such- and of course I had to get one for Miya- love hand sewn quilts.

Tammy said...

The fabrics you chose are awesome. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Are you going to make a 100 good wishes quilt? I wish I had.

Have a great time!

Mariah said...

Wendy are you doing these by hand or with a machine? You are so creative!

Irena said...

Wow. I have a feeling your quilt(s) will be amazing. You will be more than ready to do the 100 good wishes quilt when that time comes.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Very interesting! I'm taking a quilting class in the spring, so I'll be checking in to see how you are doing and to get any tips I can.

NatD said...

I'd love to send a square for the 100 good wishes quilt, if you're going to do that (like Karen).

Looks like the quilt is going to be fabulous!

Polar Bear said...

Those fabrics are FANTASTIC!!! That shop looks like trouble. I have really begun to love to shop for fabric.

I can't wait to see how this class progresses for you. You are so crafty I am sure it will be a snap.

Carolina Mama said...

The quilts are fascinating. I was wondering - please send me any advice for 'finishing' the marathon! Right now, that is my ambitious goal. How was yours, etc? WHen you get a moment....

atomic mama said...

That store... Oh. My. God.

!!!!!