Thursday, November 02, 2006
Ten Reasons Why I ((Heart)) Terry Gross
Terry Gross is the NPR Queen
1. She has met (& subsequently kicked the ass of) Gene Simmons.
2. She looks NOTHING like her voice sounds
(my apologies to those who haven't seen her pic, yet).
3. Her familiar, frequent and very genuine little laugh.
4. She inspires me to read stuff I'd normally pass by.
5. Her interview with Joan Didion made me cry.
6. She manages to find a way to relate to anyone - from Jerry Lewis to Jim Jarmusch... John Updike to Miss Manners...Nancy Reagan to Lou Reed. Terry Schiavo's husband.....Neil Young, too.
And, let us not forget - Dennis Hopper...hmmkay??
7. She finds a way to make her interviews with such diverse people to be equally important & relevant.
8. She is one Tough Cookie.
9. She makes my commute after a very long day of work....tolerable.
10. Because she is an absolute Mensch.
Did you know that most of Terry Gross' guests were not in the studio while she was interviewing them? She usually interviews via Satellite! Wow!! And, did you know that she refers to herself as a "coward"?? What? Why???? And, did you know that Terry Gross is only 5 feet tall? Didja know that she is married to a guy named Francis Davis, a jazz critic for the Village Voice?
Pretty cool lady - in so many very interesting ways.